Mar 31, 2011

Hummay Tum Say Pyaar Hai

On March 30th, Pakistan faced India in the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium in Mohali, India. Without any doubt, this was probably the most anticipated match of the 2011 ICC World Cup. Everytime the World Cup fever comes around, one of the questions that is one just about everybody's tongues no matter even if they don't belong to these two nations is if Pakistan and India will face off in the battlefield?.

The moment Pakistan cleared the Quarterfinals against West Indies on March 23rd, most of the people I know wanted India to win against Australia so that these two teams can finally have another go at each other. Also nobody wanted Australia to take home the World Cup for the fourth time in a row. And once India defeated Australia, the entire nation burst into a patriotic haze. Everywhere you look everybody was sporting the Pakistani team t-shirt, even on the days that Pakistan was not playing people were displaying their love for the home team by wearing green. Personally speaking, I have never even seen our nation so geared up on August 14th, which is our Independence Day. Everybody had their green on. It was indeed a sight to behold!


Yesterday all over Pakistan either it was declared a holiday or it was a half day so that people can watch the game from the comfort of their homes or wherever they choose to do so from. Auditoriums were booked where the match was being aired on the giant screen. There was a small crowd gathered just about everywhere there was a TV in viewing range. No matter what channel you switched to there would be some TV program centered around the match citing historical matches when the two Cricket giants battled. I was at a friend's place where almost all of my friends from university had gathered for the match. Even the girls had made an appearance. Adrenaline rushed our bodies, sugar levels soared as we munched on dorritos and pizzas, alot of chest bumping was going on and violent shaking when our team pulled of something brilliant and giant cries of desperation, curses and cusses were hurled like they were nothing. There were two points in the match when the great Sachin Tendulkar was seemingly eliminated but on closer inspection turned out not to be so. One guy yelled "M*th*rf*ck*r!" in a series of go without stopping not even realizing that his family was sitting in the next room. Yeah, that's how charged everybody was!

Gay guys are generally not that much into sports, but all of my gay friends were watching the match. My profile on the gay dating website got absolutely no hits during the entire time the match was going on. Every single status on Facebook was wishing our team the best. If you still don't get how we feel about Cricket, watch the video below;



Yeah! That's the extent to which Cricket has a hold on our nation. And I wouldn't change it any other way!

Unfortunately Pakistan lost the match. I'll admit that I did not want Pakistan to loose. I'll admit that I wanted Pakistan to face Sri Lanka in the final on April 2nd. I'll admit that I would not have minded at all if Pakistan would have won yesterday but lost on Saturday. I'll admit that I was disheartened and quite depressed. I've bumped the Pakistani team members off my crush list for good - especially a particular player. But at the end of the day, I'm Pakistani and I can not desert my team.

It's annoying to see the entire nation claiming bullshit like the match was fixed or Indian team was being favored as if the Indian team lost yesterday, people will not turn up to watch the final in Mumbai. I don't think these people would have been saying such stuff if Pakistani team had won yesterday. Then it would have been all 'We kicked their ass! Our players are like lions! Nobody can beat Pakistan!" and similar stuff. This is poor sportsman ship!

I'll probably be bashed for saying this but the Indian team was definitely stronger than ours. Our team suffered huge set backs when three regular players were barred from playing due to match fixing allegation and another player was injured. Pakistan suffered another blow when it was not allowed to be a host for any of the matches in the current World Cup due to our terrorism crisis. Whenever the World Cup is hosted in Asia, Pakistan is on the list of hosts. This was the very first time that it wasn't. It was indeed a huge disappointment for the entire nation as watching a match in a stadium is nothing short of amazing. Since I probably won't be in Pakistan for whenever next ICC World Cup is hosted in Asia, I wanted to watch one match in the stadium in my city.

But despite all the curve balls that were thrown at us, we managed to reach till the Semi Finals. And even though we lost, we really did play our hearts out. We didn't loose by a wide margin as if our players didn't invest themselves. We lost by 29 runs. I'll admit there were a couple of mistakes but in any game, a large part is based on luck. It just wasn't our day. The match was very close and I think everybody will agree with me on this point. I know we lost, but then somebody had to loose. But even then I feel we lost fairly. We tried, but the other team was better!

It's time that we stop the frigg'in excuses and allegations, and support our team back. No matter whether they win or loose, they're Pakistani. Just like you! Just like me! 


I swear never more than today have I wanted to be a Pakistani and give these guys love. Well played, guys!

25 comments:

H said...

Happens to the best of us. You guys really did play well.
=)

Hadi Hussain said...

Attacks on the Sri Lankan team, a war against zealots; assisination of liberal voices, the most devastating floods in our nation's history; a team whose captain was announced only days before the tournament... yet we still beat all odds to make it to the semi-finals! Thank you Afridi :)

Phunk Factor said...

@ H

Yeah, man! It happens....we played well and you guys gave us one 'takkar ka muqabla' :)

@ Hadi Hussain

Boom Boom Afridi all the way!! :D

I'm at peace now with what happened...just wish the nation would calm down from all the obscenities!

Trickle Down BS said...

You know that I follow your blog religiously. I think it is great. I also think that you could impart some of your cultural, Pakistani outlooks and overall sprinkle of your own stuff. We here in the West know so very little that anything you can clarify or just show us would be received eagerly...at least by people like myself (curious, accepting and hungry for knowing how other people think, other cultures)

saludos,
raulito

Rakesh said...

The better team won. :) Bwwwaahhhaaaa

I was glued to my computer watching the match live and fighting wars on fb with my Pakistani friends. Nothing beats an India-Pakistan cricket match for entertainment. I liked that Afridi took responsibility and apologized to the entire Pakistan for losing.

Now on to the finals tomorrow and beat Sri Lanka. The World Cup is India's to keep. :)

THUNDERCAT832 said...

I like how you wanna support your team NO MATTER WHAT! I can't stand fair-weather fans!

Phunk Factor said...

@ Raulito

That would indeed be cool...i'll try to incorporate more of that in some future posts hopefully!

Thanks fr the suggestion!!

@ Rakesh

Absolutely...not even a Grey's Anatomy finale is THIS exciting! :p

I do appreciate Afridi's intent but people aren't ready to accept it!

And yes...the final on Saturday..let's see...and don't mind if u find me supporting Sri Lanka!

@ Thundercat832

Absoluta-mente, blog sister!

jits said...

This time around the match was surely very much hyped about.. i havnt seen so much enthu around... myself being from the very city which held the match , i got to witness so much fan hysteria i can't put into words, i myself am not a cricket fan so just saw the ending of the game. Although i am happy and proud that India won but people it was just a game .. move on even till today eveing people are talkin about yesterday's match... cricket is like a religion in itself here ...

Rakesh said...

Oh I know a large number of Pakistanis are supporting Sri Lanka just to see India defeated vicariously. :) Ain't happening!

M@rvin said...

I forgot to watch! How gay am I? :)

I'm glad we won, but the finals will be harder, especially given how everyone is celebrating and being overconfident.

Oh, and one Indian girl here asked me today, "Are you Tamil? Maybe you'll support Sri Lanka then!" Bitch! :)

Phunk Factor said...

@ Jits

Oh wow! Ur from Morali! Dude..you should have so gone to see the match..but it's okay if ur not a fan!

Even today ppl are talking about cricket...i do agree it's more or less like a religion! :)

@ Rakesh

So tel me honestly, if Pakistan had beat India would you not be supporting Sri Lanka? :p

@ M@rvin

LOL @ Indian girl

Did u give her some finger raising, hip swishing sass that only a gay man has?

Please say 'yes'!

Rakesh said...

Honestly, Nope, I would not be supporting Sri Lanka if Pakistan had won. I wouldn't even watch the final match. I really don't care if Pakistan or India wins or loses against anyone else. I'm not a big cricket fan. It's just the India Pakistan match that gets me excited and that too, just something like the World Cup, not otherwise.

Phunk Factor said...

@ Rakesh

Hahahaha...ur a strange man, Rakesh! A very strange man...but each to his own!

M@rvin said...

Arey baba, this girl scares me. She has no problems loudly calling people 'madarchod' when she gets just a li'l upset. Another Indian girl in her lab borrowed one of her tweezers and returned it a few hours late - this was two months ago and she still refers to her as 'kuttiya'!
I laughed and said, "Jo bhi soch lo."
I'm not even 100% Tamil - what weird ideas people have anyway LOL.

Phunk Factor said...

@ M@rvin

Good thing u didn't turn up ur sass and gave it to her...u would have had ur ass handed back to u in a silver platter! :p

Rakesh said...

Hahaha .. why am I strange? LOL.

Phunk Factor said...

@ Rakesh

The only match u watch is India vs. Pakistan....i watch all Pakistani matches...and the rest only with company..and I'm watching tmrw's match!

Rakesh said...

Well, I watched cricket when I lived in India. But in the USA, I stopped following the game and now I can't even recognize any of the players except Tendulkar. I just got carried away in the India-Pakistan match frenzy among my friends on facebook.

Phunk Factor said...

@ Rakesh

Yea...M@rvin said something like all indians switching to sports that are more talked about amongst the americans!!

LX2 said...

I am truely impressed with this blog! I've been following you since a long time, never admitted but you are one of my pakistani Gay Icon , the other being Nouman(not sure what he is upto). Reading the stuff you write makes me realize life is not as though as i think. Wish you a great success in everything you desire.

Phunk Factor said...

@ LX2

Oh wow! Gay Icon?!

That's pretty huge...but thanks alot..especially for the wishes!

And Nouman who?

Not asking you to reveal his identity but is he like some celebrity or an everyday ordinary guy like me?!

Hadi Hussain said...

Don't worry, we are an amensiatic nation, we can forget things easily. There is so much going on around us, mostly unpleasant, that we just went clueless at times,about the source of our obscenities.....

Aaron Khan said...

I dont understnd y ppl get so workd up over crickt. its just a game ppl.

Whimsical Hatter said...

Me Super-likes, this post!!! :-)
I 'super-loved' the Advert,darn superb!
I so want to come over and hug you now( don't ask me why, I'm quite tipsy these days)

Phunk Factor said...

@ Hadi Hussain

Amensiatic?! I should talk with you more often...you'd definitely increase my vocabulary skills!

Back to ur comment..perhaps ur right..but I hate all these stupid match fixing allegation..it's one of those thing about us guys that I'm SO not fond of..hunah!

@ Aaron Khan

Just a game?! Dude...a match between India and Pakistan is not just a game...ask somebody u kno who follows Cricket...i kno u don't so you won't know! :p

@ Whimsical Hatter

Which advert u talking about, boy?

N yea yea...come hug me...and then lemme do some nasty with u! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...